Monday 17 October 2016

Week 31: Practice: Crossing Boundaries

Real Life is Interdisciplinary

There are days I wish real life came in boxes.  I could open a box of ‘my car is making a funny noise’ and then on another day open a box of ‘my cat is making a funny noise’.  But it never happens that way.  For me, my car makes a funny noise the exact same day as my cat.  My point is, no one experiences life in compartments … yet schools are still often set up that way.  Anyone used STAR or the maths PAT this year?   

Greek philosopher, Heraclitus is quoted as saying “Change is the only constant in life education”.  I don’t think Heraclitus would mind if I substitute ‘education’ for ‘life’.  As we try to keep up with the demands of the curriculum, technology, expectations of parents and administrators - especially as classrooms are becoming increasingly more diverse and challenging - it becomes glaringly clear that we can’t do everything on our own. “Collaboration means working smarter together, rather than harder alone” (Ministry of Education, n.d.).
I came into the teaching game a little late - after I found time to get a business degree, become a mother of two inspiring kids and then move all of us halfway around the globe. That life experience superseded my classroom inexperience during my first few years and in many ways gave me insights into how to be a more innovative teacher.  I relied on what I knew, combined with what I learned about teaching pedagogy, and I made up the rest.  Somehow it worked.  In fact there are days when I wish I taught more like the person I was before I “figured out” how I was supposed to do it.  I relied on my own diverse perspectives to influence how and what I  taught.  (And for the record, I also used the curriculum...it was quite handy at times.)
As a primary school teacher I have always, to some degree, had to use an interdisciplinary approach to augment my teaching practice. It is not a new idea for teachers to recognise they “need to collaborate with other people and groups who can provide access to specific kinds of expertise, knowledge or access to learning opportunities” (Ministry of Education, 2012, n.p.).  To me, it was important to ensure I had full coverage across the curriculum.  I would regularly rely on the knowledge of others for help - getting advice from teaching colleagues and bringing in parent or community experts.
My school has implemented a concept curriculum that is interwoven through all curriculum areas.  This “interdisciplinary approach synthesizes more than one discipline and creates teams of teachers and students that enrich the overall educational experience” (Jones, 2009, p.1).  Embedded with new  technology, it changed how we planned and facilitated student learning across the school.  Now a key challenge for our school is to decide if, in fact, student learning has been thoughtfully crafted enough to have authentic ‘real world’ activities.  Do these activities truly engage...and are they responsive to needs of the learners as suggested by Barton and Smith (2000)?  Could we (and more importantly, how should we) do more?




When analysing my interdisciplinary connections (see diagram below), it is clear that support surrounding my school is impressive. When thinking about how I can make the most improvement and change to my class learning environment, I would like to draw not only on the expertise in my own backyard, but from around the world.  “Educators and other partners from the wider community need … to talk, and to listen to each other—across professional and/or cultural boundaries”  (Ministry of Education, 2012, n.p.).   
I feel this makes Twitter an obvious, and currently under-utilized, choice for me.  It will be possible to engage with a more diverse group to inspire me to new ways of thinking.  It is a way for me to find a community of collaborators that will support and sustain my learning and it is an opportunity of global proportions if I choose to actively participate (Wesley, 2012).  Now I just have to invest my time to see and be seen in the twittersphere.

Teaching is ultimately finding the elusive sweet spot: a combination of experience (been there - tried that), research (someone else has been there and tried that) and community (let’s try that together) … not neat boxes to open...but a kaleidoscope of real life teaching and learning.


Susan’s Interdisciplinary Connections Mind Map
Interdisciplinary-Network.jpg


Larger View
References:
Barton, K. C., & Smith, L. A. (2000). Themes or motifs? Aiming for coherence through interdisciplinary outlines. The Reading Teacher, 54(1), 54-63.1.
Jones, C.(2009). Interdisciplinary approach - Advantages, disadvantages, and the future benefits of interdisciplinary studies. ESSAI7 (26), 76-81. Retrieved from http://dc.cod.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1121&context=essai

Retrieved from: Ministry of Education.(n.d.). TKI Website: Educational Leaders. Retrieved October 15, 2016. http://www.educationalleaders.govt.nz/Culture/Leading-cultural-change/Promoting-collaborative-learning-cultures


Ministry of Education (2012). New Zealand Curriculum Update: Future Oriented Teaching and Learning. Education Gazette. Retrieved From:
file:///home/chronos/u-a5b30192f62c9fee6f9760517f119800de999b7a/Downloads/NZC_Update_26_ONLINE.pdf

Wesely, P. M. (2013). Investigating the community of practice of world language educators on Twitter.Journal of Teacher Education, 64(4),305318. Retrieved from: https://www.academia.edu/23845234/Investigating_the_Community_of_Practice_of_World_Language_Educators_on_Twitter?auto=download

8 comments:

  1. Susan,
    Like yourself, I came into teaching late in the piece when trying to decide between a business and admin degree or teaching. Teaching won since it was more creative! But there are a lot of parallels in between the two. I am amazed at your Interdisciplinary Connections Mind Map. It looks like you already collaborate directly and indirectly with so many people, and your school's approach sounds like a place ripe for interesting collaborative adventures. Twitter is definitely an great place to broaden those boundaries and stretch further. Hope to see you there sometime since I'm sure you lots of valuable ideas to share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. You are right. There are lots of on next ions between the two disciplines. In fact over the past 33 weeks MindLab reminded me just how much. I am enjoying teaching more these days and I'm sure it is beasue I have seen some commonalities.

      Delete
  2. Hi Susan
    I really enjoyed reading your post and related to many of the ideas that you spoke about. I truly believe that we can not do this alone and that collaboration and networking is the key and I love your idea about the education sweet spot as things are always (and I do mean always) changing on us. I had a reliever come into the class the other day and the first thing I said, “This is not a normal day!” “Well,” she said, “when is there a normal day in the classroom anymore.”
    And that got me thinking … along with your post … yes what is the new normal at the moment. With all the information that I have gathered this year, a shared teaching space, collaborating with 2 other teachers, introducing play based learning (or trying to anyway!) … my brain is fit to burst (in a good way) and (feels a lot like your interdisciplinary connections diagram) so now it is filtering time, a time to reflect and think, what next? On to my next and last post (for this course anyway) Thanks for your great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being a 21st educator you have to be ready for anything and everything! Good luck with your play based learning. That sounds fun and hectic.

      Delete
  3. Fantastic blog post Susan! I related to a lot of the ideas you wrote about. We definitely cannot do this alone, which I realised this year after being appointed a new role in my school. One of my tasks was to create an interdisciplinary inquiry project. Collaboration was the key to success in planning and implementing this, I believe, which is also one of the areas we are trying to instill in our students as we try to make them 21st century learners. I agree with what you wrote about having real life authentic activities and that is what we tried to base our project on. Since the students have completed the project, it has been busy as we prepare our senior students for exams, but once they leave then I will be organising time to review over how we thought it went and if and what changes we need to make for something similar next year.
    Your map of connections is very impressive and I like your final comment of a "kaleidoscope of real life teaching and learning". I think this truly hits the nail on the head when it comes to describing teaching in the 21st century.
    Thank you for your great post, I really enjoyed reading it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ceylan
      I like that you did a complete inquiry based on interdisciplinary practice in your new role. What was the outcome of your inquiry? Sounds interesting.

      Delete
  4. Love the life in boxes view! Life certainly isn't nice boxes. We talk constantly at school about having "too many tabs open" as we try to do a myriad of things at once. It's hard to close these tabs as so many are interlinked.
    Your comment about authentic learning experiences stuck out to me. We have recently had a 2 day immersion unit. Teachers each took a different take on our theme "Our Planet". Lots of exciting things were achieved over these 2 days. Students Year 3-8 worked together in a unit they opted in to. But on reflection with you comment in mind, I do wonder about the authenticity of the learning and what was possible but not done. 1 group certainly had the authenticity. We now have whitebait in our class which are part of a wider scientific experiment. The students learned about whitebait and their fate. This lead to a 2 day camp in Hokitika (flying was a 1st for several of the group) to work with another enviro school and find out more about whitebait. Amazing opportunity. The other units had some great learning, but not the same in authentic learning context. A next step for us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi I liked the way you said a number of things. They did cause a giggle. E.g. Teaching is not new boxes to be opened. The giggle- tick box checklists were so 'handy'! The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes. The giggle- oh the pain of all the reading and research for Mindlab! My old eyes didn't stand a show of surviving the onslaught. Experience (been there, done that) , research( someone else...) and community ( Lets try that together). The giggle- sooo..oo conceptually Maori: whanaungatanga, ako, manaakitanga. Loved reading your reflection.

    ReplyDelete